Brynkir Tower is a quite stunning, early 19th century tower folly hidden away in the woods of Snowdonia National Park, Wales. This lovely building has been extensively renovated internally and now offers romantic and stylish accommodation.
Linked by a classic old stone staircase are two bedrooms; one double and one twin, a living room, kitchen, and a very spacious bathroom. The interiors are cosy, bright and clean, the views tremendous from the top floor living room, and the whole experience is one of truly splendid isolation, though you do have WiFi and a TV!
The cosy sitting room has a sofa, armchairs, a wood-burning stove and a TV & DVD player and it, along with the bathroom, has the best of the views. The kitchen has an electric cooker, microwave, fridge and dishwasher, amongst other conveniences, as well as dining table and chairs.
Then there are the cosy and romantic two bedrooms, one of which is a double, the other a twin. The bathroom deserves a special mention too; it is bright and spacious and has a lovely old style roll top bath from where to enjoy the views from. Check out all the details on the booking page here.
Note: Though pets are welcome to stay, there are many sheep in the immediate surrounds so dogs should be kept on a leash when outside.
The tower is a located a few miles from the small village of Garndolbenmaen, or Garn to the locals, at the edge of the Snowdonia National Park, and amidst some of Wales’ and the U.K.’s most beautiful rural landscapes. The park is vast and you can enjoy lovely hikes in the surrounding countryside and the foothills of Snowdonia. The mountain itself is there to be tackled too of course, or you can always take the very scenic train ride.
A drive around the area can take in some extraordinary scenery and some lovely towns and villages, Beddgelert within the park itself for example or the likes of Criccieth and Portmeiron along the nearby coast.
Holyhead, for ferries to Ireland, is less than an hour away, Wrexham an hour and a half and the city of Liverpool around two hours.
A LITTLE HISTORY:
Brynkir has a long history as an estate with descendents of the infamous Owain ap Gruffudd or ‘Owain the Great’, King of Gwynedd residing there since medieval times. Bryncir in old Welsh means hill of the deer, and it is believed to have been an important hunting ground for the nobility of North Wales. The occupants themselves took the surname Brynkir as their own and in 1644 built a grand manor house, now ruined, near the site of the present day tower.
Over the following centuries the estate passed hands many times until in 1809 it ended up with Captain Joseph Huddart. He had earned a fortune from the invention of a steam driven, industrial rope binder, and soon set about a large renovation of the estate, and the manor house known as Brynkir Hall.
He died in 1816 and in 1821, his son, also Joseph Huddart, the High Sheriff of Caernarfonshire, followed on his work with the building of the 6 story Gothic Tower we see today.
The new tower was an instant hit with among its first reported visitors being the Prince of Wales. So impressed was he with the elegant new construction that Mr. Huddart would, on his recommendation, soon after receive a Knighthood.
The estate remained with the Huddart family until 1910 when bankruptcy lead to the State taking over the entire property. Apart from a stint as a Prisoner of War camp during WW1 the hall and the tower were left empty though, with the Hall eventually being demolished in the 1920s.
In 1930 the estate was broken up and sold off in small lots and though the tower remained standing it would stay derelict until the early 1990s when a large renovation was undertaken, one which stayed true to the historical fabric of the place and which resulted in the wonderful holiday home we see today.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.