No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Here are our choices for, and reviews of, the best self catering castle, manor house & chateau accommodation in France in 2021! All of these wonderful properties come with instant online booking & lowest price guaranteed via Booking.com.
The best castle & chateau stays in France:
- Most Famous Former Guest: King Louis XI. Le Manoir de Champfreau has a three bedroom manor house and a one bedroom cottage for holiday rentals on a 15th-century, partially moated, estate near Saumur and the city of Tours, in the heart of the Loire Valley. The accommodation is spacious, comfortable and full of historic character with sturdy old stone walls, wood beamed ceilings and a great array of classic antique and art pieces. ACCOMMODATION: The main building is the 200 m² (2100 ft²) Manor House which has three comfortable and spacious double bedrooms, one of which is en-suite and all of which are beautifully, and individually, decorated with antiques, Persian rugs, mirrors, paintings, prints, tapestries and floor to ceiling curtains. Adjoining one of them is the Turret Room, a small room which served as the Manor Oratoire (private chapel) in olden times and is still now designed and decorated as such. The entrance hall has deep red upholstered walls, a large oak table and many fine antiques, paintings and prints, a wrought iron, candle holding chandelier, and an 18th-century era library filled with books, mainly about history, art and architecture. The main room of the house is the large ‘Great READ MORE
- Known in the U.K. as one of the chateaux from the Channel 4 series – Escape to the Chateau DIY, Chateau Lalande is a very charming property dating back to the 15th century that has been tastefully, carefully renovated by its – now TV famous – owners. It is a family home with some very lovely, old style chic, guest rooms, and you can expect a warm welcome and an informal familial atmosphere. THE ACCOMMODATION: Note: There is a minimum stay of two nights. The accommodation ranges from singles, twins and double rooms to larger suites and self catering apartments – one one bedroom apt. and one studio. Their family suite being the largest which can sleep up to four. Check out all your options, plus reviews and more photos, on the booking page here. All are tremendously well decorated and furnished and wouldn’t look at all out of place in a period movie. They are also spacious and comfortable and have plenty of modern home comforts, just no TVs to spoil the historic atmosphere. You’ll be treated to a very fine breakfast in the morning, with lots to choose from – fresh baguettes, pastries and croissants, a array of READ MORE
- Château Marteret is a fairly tale like, luxury chateau for rent in the heart of Gascony, South West France, near to both Bordeaux and the foothills of the Pyrenees. It has eight bedrooms and can sleep up to fourteen people very comfortably. The beautifully renovated interiors are minimalist and chic, and maintain loads of historical charm. Surrounding the chateau there are over 400 acres of estate to be explored which include orchards, woodland, meadows, a lake and a small herd of Meren horses. ACCOMMODATION: The chateau has a total of six spacious double bedrooms and one twin. It also has five very nice bathrooms some with romantic bath tubs, an elegant, French country style kitchen (catering services can also be arranged though if you don’t feel like cooking), dining room, and lounges and sitting areas with comfortable seating and stylish furniture. The chateau itself is undoubtedly beautiful and atmospheric but for many the estate’s private grounds make a stay there extra special. They cover nearly 450 acres in total and you can go swimming and sailing (there is a small boat there to use) in the large lake, sunbathe on its sandy shore, wander for hours around the meadow fields, READ MORE
- Most famous former guest: King Henri IV of France, aka ‘Good King Henry’. Château de Chanzé is a beautifully authentic old château for rent near Angers in the heart of the Garden of France; the Loire Valley. It has history going all the way back to the 11th Century and still retains a huge amount of medieval ambience. There are five spacious bedrooms and suites in total, and the château can sleep up to fifteen people comfortably. THE ACCOMMODATION: There are three spacious suites with en-suite bathrooms and lounge/seating areas, and two smaller bedrooms with shared bathroom. Two of the suites have one double bed and one single while the other has one double bed and two single beds. Of the two bedrooms, one has one double and one single bed and the other has just one double bed. Thus the château can sleep a total of up to fifteen people. The centre piece of the château is the very atmospheric 100m2 ‘Banquet Hall’ which has a five metre long solid oak dining table, an enormous, 17th century era fireplace, candelabras, handmade lead-light windows, a Young Chang grand piano and some lovely old antique furniture and art pieces. There is READ MORE
- The 4 Star Château de Labro is a luxury vineyard hotel & spa near the town of Rodez in central France’s Occitanie region, previously known as Midi-Pyrénées. The medieval château oozes old world elegance and the grounds have charming gardens, a swimming pool, orchards and vineyards. There is a very fine restaurant at the château too and the food and the wine is superb. For an extra novel stay, if a medieval château bedroom doesn’t appeal, you can also spend the night at the luxury treehouse in the gardens. THE ACCOMMODATION: The treehouse is a very popular choice so can get booked out months in advance. It is a fine piece of engineering, architecture and design and once inside it feels more like luxury studio apartment than what you might imagine a treehouse to be. The 16th century château itself has charmingly romantic rooms, with antique furniture pieces and four poster beds. The rooms are mainly doubles but there is also a family room which can sleep up to four, as well as a self catering apartment to also sleep up to four. Being a luxury hotel you can expect the accommodation to be high quality. Comfort is paramount, and READ MORE
- Château Monteil is a beautiful private chateau, with an outdoor heated swimming pool, to rent in the Dordogne-Perigord region of southern France. It is just over two hours from Bordeaux, in the eastern Dordogne, and close to both the beautiful medieval town of Sarlat-la-Canéda and the Lascaux Caves. THE ACCOMMODATION: The château is very spacious and can sleep up to seventeen people without much fuss. There are six bedrooms with various numbers of beds (take a look on the booking page here), five bathrooms, spacious lounge areas (which include, amongst other things, an open fireplace, a snooker table and a TV), a nice, fully equipped, kitchen, and finally outside you have gardens and terraces with sun loungers that overlook the aforementioned heated swimming pool. The château owners live close by and will always be on hand should you have any issues. They are also very good cooks and if you tire of cooking at the chateau they can arrange meals for an extra charge. With some advance notice they can provide breakfast and in the evenings a tremendous multi course home cooked meal featuring local recipes and ingredients. Wines can be ordered too, with the latest wine list from the READ MORE
- Château de Sadillac is an exclusive, 11th century era, château for rent near Bergerac in the Dordogne department of Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France. It has 6 bedrooms 3 of which are en-suite, a spacious kitchen, living & dining room, bar and a large outdoor terrace area. It also has nicely tended gardens, barbecue facilities, a huge chess board, a kid’s play area, a trampoline, a fishing lake, an outdoor swimming pool, a Finnish sauna and, most note-worthy of all, a 9 hole, 27 par golf course, which guests at the chateau have exclusive, private use of for the duration of their stay. ACCOMMODATION: There are 6 bedrooms at the property, 3 of which are en-suite, a spacious living room with comfortable seating, a wood burner, TV & DVD player etc. and an adjoining bar-room. The kitchen is also large and fully equipped, and apart from the more general kitchen facilities it also has a coffee machine, a dishwasher and a washing machine. The property is secluded and private with an ancient wall and lines of trees protecting it from the outside. Around the large terrace area there is a children’s play corner, oversize chess board, table tennis, barbecue facilities plus pizza/bread making oven, READ MORE
- Château Secretary is a beautifully authentic chateau for rent on the borders of the Dordogne and Lot et Garonne, near Bordeaux, France. The building is elegant and spacious, can house up to fourteen people over 6 bedrooms, and has an acre and a half of outdoor space which includes, gardens, parkland and an outdoor swimming pool. The minimum stay is seven days from Saturday to Saturday, and be aware that the chateau gets booked out months in advance so reserve as early as you can! THE ACCOMMODATION: As mentioned the chateau has six bedrooms, all with extra large double beds and one with an extra two single beds to make a total occupancy of fourteen with extra cots also available for infants. There are six bathrooms too and spacious common areas which include a fully equipped kitchen (catering though can also be arranged), lounge room with satellite TV, library, dining hall and outside a furnished terrace for al fresco lounging and dining which also has barbecue facilities. In the 1.2 acre grounds there is an outdoor swimming pool, sand floor volleyball court and table tennis. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews and more photos – on the READ MORE
- Chateau De Piedouault is a wonderfully authentic old chateau for rent near the Loire Valley and the cities of Nantes and Angers. It has 700 m² of internal space, can accommodate up to 15 guests, and has all the ingredients in place for a relaxed, leisurely stay. The location is ideal too for exploring the very iconic, and very beautiful, Loire and Anjou regions of France. ACCOMMODATION: There are a total of eight bedrooms at the chateau, a mixture of double and twins except for one single room, and it can accommodate 15 guests comfortably. There is also a large living room/ lounge area plus a dining room and a fully equipped kitchen. Outside you have acres of space with gardens, which include a heated swimming pool, lovely woodland walks and views of the surrounding countryside. The house feels both spacious and cosy at the same time and is the type of place that begins to feel like home very quickly indeed. You’re find the owners, who live nearby, welcoming and friendly and will on arrival offer you a nice gift pack of food staples and wine. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews and more photos – READ MORE
- Chateau Mareuil, as UK visitors may know from the Channel 4 series Escape to the Chateau DIY, is a very charming 15th century chateau with a lovely setting overlooking the Asse valley in the Hautes Vienne region. It has, as fans of the series will know, been painstakingly restored and the result is a chateau guest house with an authentic look and feel. The environment is gorgeous too – the chateau’s flower gardens and lawns are flanked by a river, and surrounded on all sides by silent green fields in this deeply rural part of central France. THE ACCOMMODATION: There are three guest suites in chateau itself – The Princess Suite, referred to on the booking page as Deluxe Family Room with Private Bathroom is the largest, sleeping up to four (one double and two singles) over a full 64 m² (689 square feet) space, but somehow still feels cosy and intimate. The two other suites – referred to as the Deluxe Triple Room & Comfort Triple Room have one double bed and one single each are smaller but still perfectly formed. Lastly there is a double studio apartment with a kitchen in an adjoining, also historic building. Check out READ MORE
- A former 12th century Knights Templar castle, Château Saint Martin is now a magnificent, 5 Star luxury hotel retreat set high in the hills above Saint Paul de Vence and the French Riviera. It has magnificent views, spacious, comfortable rooms and suites, over 30 acres of beautifully tended gardens which include a swimming pool and tennis courts, a Michelin Star Restaurant, opulent spa facilities and dedicated staff who offer a personalised service that is really second to none. To top it all Château Saint Martin also has an amazing array of art adorning its walls, art which includes works by such iconic figures as Picasso, Matisse, Renoir and Chagall. ACCOMMODATION: They have a huge range of accommodation options at the chateau, from double rooms and suites at the chateau itself to luxury private, self catering villas on the hillside nearby. They are all classically styled, comfortable and spacious, with even the smallest of rooms being roughly 25 m². All too are airy, bright and clean with pastel shaded walls, country-chic Pierre Frey fabrics and large windows offering superb views. Internally the rooms might almost be a match for the suites but for the lack of terrace space which comes as READ MORE
- Château La Breteche is a rustic French chateau for rent near Orléans and the Loire Valley. It is a spacious and elegant five bedroom property that can sleep up to fourteen guests comfortably and though fully renovated internally it retains an alluring sense of the past. The setting is idyllic and deeply rural; the chateau is hidden away between the woods and the meandering River Cosson and you don’t have to stray too far to find yourself immersed in the peace and tranquility of nature. THE ACCOMMODATION: There are five bedrooms at the chateau, five bathrooms, two large living rooms/dining rooms with satellite TV and a piano, a fully equipped kitchen and outside a furnished terrace area and barbecue facilities. Three of the bedrooms have two single beds, one other bedroom has three single beds and another five single beds. This brings the total occupancy up to 14, though of course they all can also be used as double rooms if that is what you would prefer. The chateau was built back in 1840, on the site of a previous, centuries old chateau. It has of course been renovated on numerous occasions since then and now comes with central heating, READ MORE
- The 17th century era Château de Tourreau is without doubt one of the finest châteaux for rent in Provence, and indeed one of Provence’s finest properties in general, It has been beautifully renovated, in keeping with its historical spirit but with 21st century conveniences and facilities, and the interior design is immaculate at every turn. It also has 17 acres of private parkland which include a historic consecrated chapel, meticulously designed gardens (with a large swimming pool and tennis courts), as well as woodlands, orchards, streams and a small lake. THE ACCOMMODATION: Note: There is a 3 night minimum stay at this property. The interiors cover at least 800 square metres, with nine double and twin bedrooms in total. On the ground and first floor you have three master bedrooms with queen sized beds and ensuite bathrooms. And on the second, six more bedrooms all of which are also ensuite; one with king size bed, two with queen size, two with standard doubles and one with twin beds. Other rooms at the property include a lovely formal dining hall, a library, a large kitchen and three reception rooms. The Château’s internal courtyard is an extra charming feature with its fountains READ MORE